TODAY THE WORDS are THANKFUL FOR THE HAVE NOTS. As the Thanksgiving holiday came and went with most of us who celebrate this holiday gave thanks for our blessings, our families, friends, faith, freedom, jobs, and homes. We had some of the family in with a big feast and lots of laughs from our grandsons. It was a wondrous time and a time to reflect on the many things we have to be thankful for and for all of those blessings; we gave thanks. However, a thought came to me this morning and it became the focus for today’s blog…….We need to be thankful for some “have not” things.
It is easy to recognize the good things we have been given but it should be as important to be thankful if we don’t possess certain things or attitudes in life. For some reason the song about unanswered prayers came into my head early this morning. We see life as a benefactor for great opportunities; we have to be cautious as life can throw a monkey wrench as well. Let’s look at what life can throw our way:
1) We can lose at love. Love is such a beautiful feeling and emotion. If taken away, our hearts hurt and we can become bitter and guarded. If we keep this feeling of loss and hurt; we might miss the best love which could replenish our heart and give us the kind of lasting love which we are thankful.
2) We can experience bullying or envy from others. We are not all blessed with great looks, figures, speech, hearing, and health and even for those who do possess beauty and great talent can experience bullying or jealousy. This can be so incredibly cruel and can change how we feel about ourselves.
3) We can be the target of hatred. So much turmoil between races and cultures is in the media and unfortunately becoming the topic of many conversations and it is building negative feelings instead of moving in a positive direction. Hatred is like a lighter; a fire has to have ignition of a spark and a person who spews hatred ignites that spark and it grows into a blazing fire hurting all who get in its path.
4) We can be uncaring and distant to real causes. Sometimes, when something bad has happened; we want to withdraw and become uncaring to others…the old “I got hurt so what if you got hurt too” attitude. If we are suffering; why should others suffer seems to be a popular belief and this causes more pain. It may only be one single sentence which can uplift a person or a single sentence which can destroy a person while they are going through a difficult time.
5) We can become “faithless.” One of the most important gifts of life is our faith and to become without faith; we can lose hope and a feeling of being protected from the evils of life. I see a trend in a lot of people who take the freedom of religion and the right to exercise our “individual” faith for granted and it is a divine gift to believe and trust in a Higher Power. Complacency can rob us of this gift and can come like a thief in the night.
Now for the deeper thought…….As important as it is to be thankful for our gifts of life, it is important we thank Our Maker for the absence of certain feelings such as hatred, envy, unfaithfulness, turmoil, non-complacency, Keeping ourselves full of love, compassion, charitable heart, equality, and fairness is a gift and not ever to be forgotten. Giving thanks for the absence of negativity in our lives is worthwhile during this time and every day. Let us be thankful for the have nots too.
DAILY FEATURED BIBLE VERSE:
James 1:17 ESV
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
(c) copyright 2014 Arline Lott Miller. The material here copyrighted, use only by permission.